The defense and homeland security industry is comprised of innovative companies developing and manufacturing products for military applications and to protect the public from a broad range of terrorist threats. Florida's high tech economy and workforce make Florida a great location for homeland security businesses looking for workers with the expertise needed to compete in this rapidly evolving industry.
Areas of Excellence: missiles and missile defense systems, C4ISR, electro-optics and lasers, simulation and training, logistics/warfighter support, defense electronics, aircraft and aircraft components, military flight training, and weapons RDT&E
Select Companies in Florida: Boeing, BAE Systems, DRS/Finmeccanica, General Dynamics, Honeywell, ITT, Lockheed Martin, L-3, Northrop Grumman, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon, SAIC, Sikorsky.
Areas of Excellence: cyber security and systems integration; disaster preparedness, response, and recovery; airport, port and maritime security; biometrics; and rugged communications equipment.
Select Companies in Florida: Authentec, Cross Match Technologies, General Dynamics Itronix, Harris, Motorola Solutions, SRI International, Sypris, Thales eSecurity, Tyco Fire and Security.
- Florida ranks 4th among states with $12.8 billion in Department of Defense prime contract awards
- Florida proudly hosts 20 major military installations - including key procurement offices for all branches of service - and 3 unified combatant commands
- Florida ranks #2 for space and defense systems manufacturing
- Florida ranks #2 among states for aerospace products and parts manufacturing
- Florida ranks #2 for search, detection, and navigation instrument manufacturing