After years of aggressive, coordinated effort, Florida has firmly established itself as a true hub for the life sciences. Today, Florida is home to some of the nation's most highly regarded research centers; nearly 900 biotech, pharmaceutical and medical devices companies; and a foundation of more than 43,000 healthcare establishments - including 700+ hospitals. Florida is home to United States' 2nd fastest growing biotech industry, the 5th largest pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, and 2nd highest number of FDA-registered medical device manufacturers.
Areas of Excellence: therapeutics – especially cancer and infectious disease, genomics, diagnostics, personalized medicine, regenerative medicine.
Select Companies in Florida: Accentia Biopharmaceuticals, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation, AxoGen, OPKO Health, Sanofi Pasteur VaxDesign Campus.
Areas of Excellence: generics, drug delivery and release technologies, neurological diseases, cancer, ophthalmology, cardiovascular disease.
Select Companies in Florida: Archer, Actavis, Bausch & Lomb Pharmaceuticals, Envoy Therapeutics, Noven Pharmaceuticals, Teva, Watson.
Areas of Excellence: surgical technologies and supplies, biomaterials and implants, cardiac and vascular devices, diagnostics, imaging.
Select Companies in Florida: Arthrex, Baxter, Boston Scientific, Conmed Linvatec, Halkey-Roberts, MAKO Surgical, Medtronic, RTI Biologics, Smith & Nephew, Vistakon/Johnson & Johnson.
Areas of Excellence: translational medicine, clinical trials, care and research in cancer, endocrinology, neurology and neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, pulmonology.
Select Florida Hospitals: Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Moffitt Cancer Center, Mount Sinai, Nemours, Orlando Regional & M.D. Andersons Cancer Center Orlando, Shands, Tampa General, UM/Jackson Memorial.
- Florida universities invest nearly $1 billion in life sciences R&D annually
- Florida ranks 2nd among states for FDA registered medical device manufacturing facilities
- Florida ranks 5th for pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing businesses
- 9 Florida hospitals rank among America's Best, according to U.S. News and World Report
- Florida ranks 6th for bioscience employment and higher education degrees awarded
- Florida is home to 9 medical schools, spanning from the southeast to the northwest