Discover West Virginia where industry, technology and education thrive.
Acquaint yourself with a state where a loyal and skilled work force is dedicated to deliver a remarkable profit margin.
Get to know the hills and valleys where resources abound and a good quality of life is guaranteed.
Catch the spirit of the Mountain State which explores the new challenges of tomorrow with internationally recognized expertise and world-class research facilities.
Capitalize on West Virginia's energy and its people who pledge effective and efficient support for flourishing private industry.
Find out why West Virginia is Open for Business - big and small.
About West Virginia
West Virginia is centrally located in the Eastern United States - between the Detroit Region in the Midwest, the South and Northeast. The United States capital, Washington, DC, is just 90 km from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.
West Virginia's strategic location has attracted many companies that rely on our capability of same-day delivery to
- 50% of the U.S. population
- 33% of the Canadian population
- 77% of the automotive manufacturing market
- 67% of the national pharmaceuticals market
- 47% of all U.S. manufacturing capacity
- 49% of the U.S. wholesale trade markets
- 47% of all retail sales and
- 38% of the overall biomedical technology market
One of the newest interstate systems in the United States links east/west interstates with north/south interstates creating easy access from, to and throughout West Virginia.
The Washington Dulles International and Pittsburgh International airports are within a one-hour drive of much of the state. Direct flights for passengers and freight connect the state to Baltimore, Detroit, Atlanta, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, DC and other major destinations in the United States.
West Virginia & the United States of America
Why Invest in West Virginia
Not only do we have plenty of advantages to offer business and industry, but our high quality of life offers all who make West Virginia home a safe, friendly, close-knit environment and peace of mind that's unique to the Mountain State. Our communities are made up of residents tightly bound to the improvement of local conditions and economic growth as well as the overall well-being of the state.
Two major research universities in Morgantown and Huntington as well as over 20 other institutes of higher education contribute to the technological development, scholarship and cultural richness of our state. And with the nationally-recognized Greenbrier Resort, hundreds of miles of bike trails and forest paths, championship golf courses and some of the nation's most beautiful and challenging whitewater rivers, West Virginia's natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities are second to none in the Eastern United States.
We're not only a great state to do business; we're a great state to call home. Come invest in West Virginia:
People & Savings
- The 2012 Moody's Analytics Cost of Doing Business Index showed that West Virginia's cost of doing business was 18% below the United States' average.
- 2011 Energy Information Administration data shows that West Virginia's "Industrial" and "All Sectors" electricity costs are among the lowest in the nation. Moreover, within the South Atlantic Division of states, West Virginia's Industrial costs are the second lowest and overall lowest within the division.
- West Virginia's overall annual average manufacturing payroll is 80% of the national average.
- The Polymer Alliance Zone of West Virginia (PAZ) has the highest concentration of high technology, specialty and engineering polymer production in the world.
- West Virginia is home to 73 chemical plants and 100 chemical distribution centers. The chemical industry has a community approval rating of over 80%, one of the highest in the nation.
- As an example of a qualified and motivated workforce, over 5,000 people applied for 22 jobs in 2012 at the Gestamp plant in West Virginia.
- International businesses continue to invest in West Virginia due to its competitive tax and cost structure, as well as its world-class workforce. Case in point: Spanish automotive stamping company, Gestamp opened its doors in 2012 currently employing 70 in South Charleston and intends to have a staff of 100 to 120 workers by the end of the year. Gestamp West Virginia plans to have a total of at least 400 jobs and invest at least $100 million within five years.
- The Governor's Guaranteed Workforce Program provides up to $2,000 for training per employee for every job created. This funding can be used for training costs in the state or sending West Virginia-based employees to Europe for training.
- In 2012, Forbes magazine ranked Morgantown, West Virginia 7th for "Best Small Places for Business" in the United States.
- 2010 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics reports that West Virginia has the 11th lowest crime index in the United States.
Important locational aspects
West Virginia is ideally located in the eastern United States within 800 km of 60% of the US population and a third of Canada's population.
West Virginia's interstate system offers three major east/west Interstates and three north/south Interstates. Regional airports offer flights to major airline hubs across the nation. Extensive rail service is available with over 2,600 miles of railway lines. 419 miles of navigable waterways, headlined by the premier Ohio River system, give the state a direct link to the Midwest, and the Gulf of Mexico. The Port of Huntington/Tri-State is the largest inland port in the US.
Number of foreign companies in State
– Over 100
Corporate Income Tax rate
– Flat Rate of 7.75%
Sales Tax (State) rate
Available training and recruitment programs
The Governor's Guaranteed Work Force Program provides up to $2,000 for training per employee for every job created, which can be used for in-state training costs or costs to send employees to train in Europe. Recruitment programs available upon request.
Business assistance programs
Super Tax Credit, Low Interest Loans, R&D Tax Credits, "Five-for-Ten" Program, Governor's Guaranteed Work Force Program, Corporate Headquarters Credit, Economic Opportunity Credit, High-Tech Manufacturing Credit, Manufacturing Sales Tax Exemption, just to name a few.
Assistance in Europe
Our team of investment professionals with multilingual capabilities, and experience in finance, law, and business will work with you from start to finish. Don't hesitate to call our office in Munich: +49-89-5488-4113.
What We Can Do To Help You
The West Virginia European Office wants to work with you and your business with any questions or concerns that may arise while deliberating or planning an expansion in the North American market - confidentially and cost-free.
Together with our colleagues in West Virginia, our responsive and professional service is unmatched, especially for mid-sized or smaller projects.
- Incentive maximization
- fast-track permitting
- site identification
- special financing
- regulatory coordination
These are just a few of the services we offer.
Please feel free to contact us anytime to further discuss the opportunities for your company in North America or gather more information about West Virginia and the United States.
We welcome the opportunity to contact us.
Angela Mascia, Interim Director
Tel: +49 89 5488 4113
State Governor: Governor Earl Ray Tomblin